Thursday, December 27, 2007

Bland diets are BORING!

In my Christmas post, I mentioned that I couldn't eat a lot at breakfast because of my bland diet. I've been having some stomach problems lately and am in the process of trying to figure out (with the doctor's help of course) what is wrong with me. While we're trying to figure all this out, the doc has put me on a 'bland' diet. By bland I mean pretty much no taste whatsoever. The list of what I can't eat is rather depressing. Things I can not eat or cook with:

- fried food
- greasy food
- olive oil (or any other kind of oil)
- dairy products
- spices of any kind
- junk food
- raw fruits or veggies (which means no fruit juice)

Basically, I can only cook with cooking spray.

I've been eating a lot of plain bread, seasonless chicken, dry potatoes, boring veggies, butterless noodles, and regular oatmeal. Food without flavor just isn't too exciting. There has been, however, one saving grace through this whole ordeal ... BUTTER FLAVORED COOKING SPRAY! Who knew that one little can of cooking spray could be so exciting. Little did I know it in the beginning, but it has now become my best friend and my one shot at flavor for every meal. Haha Praise the Lord for butter flavored cooking spray. Despite the feeble attempts to flavor my food with cooking spray, I'm still missing out so much on flavor right now and missing some of my staple foods ... please tell me, how do people live without milk and cereal, and orange juice?? I think it's gonna kill me!! It's gotta so bad I'm actually considering using soy milk so I can have cereal again (did I really just say that?? SOY MILK????). Never thought I'd see the day, but desperate times call for desperate measures. And these sure are desperate times ... haha.

I have no idea how long this 'diet' will last, but I'm hoping it will end sooner than later! I don't know how much more of this I can stand! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor poor baby. I'll remember you when I have a really good southern homecooked meal. Wow, that was mean. I'm sorry, but no, I'm not taking it back! lol. I love and I'm praying that you are better (and can figure out what's wrong) soon!

MH

Amy Read said...

OH NO! How do they expect you to live on such a diet?! I would die.
No dairy products? Don't they understand that it's PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to live without ice cream? The same goes for junk food. and fried food. and juice. if i was you, i'd sneak it ;) But you have a lot more self control than Sally and i do :)
Keep up the good work Sandi, and i hope you feel better!
~Amy

Sandi said...

Haha ... yes, well I won't say I haven't snuck a little here and there. But I figure the diet is for my own good so I better try to be mostly good and self controlled. ;-)