Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas in Peru

Well, I survived my first Christmas in Peru. I must say that it was wonderful. I got to keep some family traditions and experience some new things. I talked to my family on Christmas Eve and got to listen to Dad read our traditional Christmas Eve stories: The Christmas Puppy, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas, and the Biblical account of the birth of Christ. It was officially Christmas once that tradition was finished. The next morning I woke up to my Skype phone ringing. Ryan was calling to wake me up so we could open presents on the phone together. I got up, washed my face, and called them back. Of course, as is tradition, Ryan and I were sitting, chatting, staring at our presents, waiting to open them, all the while waiting for Kate to finally get up and get out of bed (she’s not a morning person :-). We finally got everyone around the computer and started opening presents. It wasn’t quite the same as being at home in the midst of all the wrapping paper, but it was a close second.

After opening presents, I headed to the Weavers’ house for breakfast. Breakfast consisted of all kinds of good food (most of which I couldn’t eat because of my ‘bland’ diet) and plenty of people. I hung out the rest of the day with the Weavers. Madison and I worked on some Sudoku games, played house, painted fingernails, watched movies, practiced her new ‘skip it’ toy, and really just had a good time. It was so nice just to be able to hang out and play. And really, who doesn’t love going outside on Christmas day to play with their new toys? I know I enjoyed it, even if they weren’t my toys. :-)

Christmas really was wonderful for me this year. I am so thankful that the Lord provided me with so much peace during this time while I was away from my family. I definitely missed them very much, but He was so gracious to remind me of what Christmas is really about. It’s not about opening presents or eating lots of food or even being with my family. It’s about His birth and ultimately His sacrifice. And I amazed at how much peace He gave me about the sacrifices I am making by being here and the things I am missing out on. He helped me to see how I can truly love and cherish some traditions and still be completely at peace a world away from all of them. It’s really all about His love and helping others to see that love no matter where I am.

No comments: